When you work a desk job, you know you spend hours and hours sitting in front of a computer. Would it surprise you to learn that someone who works 40 hours a week would spend about 1,900 hours at that desk and in that chair in one year? That’s what makes it critical to choose pre-owned office chairs that meet ergonomic standards.
How do you find the right chair? These features are essential:
- Adjustable Levers — People come all different sizes, but chairs don’t. With levers, you can change that chair to accommodate your body. Adjust the seat, arms, and back, so you feel comfortable sitting in that chair for hours at a time.
- Support for Your Lower Back — When sitting for long periods, your back needs support in the lumbar region to avoid strain. Look for a chair with adjustable support so you can make it accommodate your lower back. Back strain over time can lead to sciatica.
- Swivel Movement — You want to be able to reach all areas of the desk without strain. Having a chair that swivels allows you to turn the chair to reach the farthest edges.
- Wheels on the Base — Even though you’re sitting, you still need to have access to move around in your chair. This is why pre-owned office chairs with wheels are superior to one with four legs.
You may not have as many paper files as you did in the past, but you still need many to store key documents. These need to be locked away to prevent the unwanted release of company plans and reports, as well as customers’ or employees’ personal information. For the paperwork that must be protected, select used office file cabinets. Here are the arguments in favor of buying refurbished:
- File cabinets are built to be sturdy and long-lasting. With a little bit of work, older cabinets are made to operate as good as new, with locks and keys that work reliably. Buying used saves you money.
- More and more companies are becoming environmentally conscious. So, instead of wasting natural resources, opt to purchase refurbished cabinets. This decision decreases the amount of garbage going into landfills.
- It’s usually quicker to buy used office file cabinets that are available in a supplier’s stockroom than to order new cabinets that take weeks to make.
Choose quality brands of used office equipment that have stood the test of time. These include Allsteel, Global, Herman Miller, Hon, and Meridian. Make use of these purchasing decisions to buy refurbished file cabinets for your office. The savings and safety are well worth your investment.
At home, you may have your favorite chair, the one that seems made for you, and allows you to sink deep into the cushions and feel comfortable watching TV or reading hours on end. You know how crucial a good chair is for relaxing. Well, it’s the same at the office. When you’re looking to buy new and used office furniture, be sure to think about comfort as it relates to productivity and efficiency.
Making Desks & Chairs Comfortable for Long Shifts
One of the main concerns with the design of office furniture is the length of time people use that desk and chair each day. Generally, for about eight hours, but sometimes more. There are lunches and breaks, but these amount to 15 or 30 minutes for break and 30 to 60 minutes for lunch. What this means is that people are sitting at a desk working on a computer for hours at a stretch. This is what makes ergonomic furniture so essential.
Ergonomic new and used office furniture is designed for people in these exact circumstances. Their chairs matter a great deal because they’re sitting so much. And their desks matter, too. It’s essential they are of proper height to accommodate computer monitors, as well as adjustments for people who prefer to stand because of back problems.
That vintage furniture may look pretty, but when you consider what it lacks in ergonomics, you see the benefit of upgrading to the latest designs. This is because today’s commercial office furniture has the worker in mind — the worker who spends eight hours a day, five days a week at that desk and chair.
Ergonomics may not have even been a word when some older model office furniture was made. In those days, not as many people worked a desk job. But today, when so many people sit in front of a computer, a desk and chair that accommodate the human body make a big difference — in comfort and productivity.
Looking & Functioning Differently
Today’s commercial office furniture looks a whole lot different because it’s made using ergonomic principles. For example, some desks are made for people with back concerns. These allow them to adjust their desks so they can stand up all day or even part of the day. What a difference this makes for people who suffer from back problems. With these changes, they’re able to focus on work instead of the pain, which makes for a happier, more productive worker.
Modern chairs are different, too. They’re large, adjustable, and woven with air holes to allow for breathing space, as well as strength. These are designed to swivel and move easily to accommodate the users better. And despite a light appearance, they’re durable enough to last for years. Employers find these ergonomic models are much better for business.